May 03, 2017

NY Times Lens Blog Feature

I haven't been this excited about getting my work recognized since getting a film short into the Coney Island Film Festival in 2007. Being a feature in the Lens Blog was a dream.

In mentioning  how the archetypal faces were such a lure, Gene Palma came up.  His slick, angular sideburns complemented the art deco decor of the Horn & Hardart on 57th Street which no longer had Automat machines. It was trying to serve in a more 'modern' way to keep up with the popularity of encroaching fast food establishments in Manhattan. They featured a grill for burgers and fries and had high tables with stools. Shortly after it closed it became a Burger King.

                                           Horn & Hardart 57th Street, NYC

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your piece in the NYT. Your photographs are simply amazing. I knew those people. It brought back a flood of memories. If I had a nickel for every ticket punched....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your piece in the NYT. Your photographs are simply amazing. I knew those people. It brought back a flood of memories. If I had a nickel for every ticket punched....

Anonymous said...

Great work! Reminds me of a H&H at Broad and Chestnut in Phila that was set up the same way. It didn't last long but was an interesting place.

Anonymous said...

My Mom and Dad owned the cafeteria until 1970 when they sold it to Horn & Hardart. It was always welcoming to all sorts of people -- tourists, lawyers and bag ladies.